Australia’s largest, most accredited and experienced Electromagnetic Field measuring company (since 1992)
EMC Technologies experts in EMR testing
Why Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) regulations?
It is widely accepted that exposure of the human body to high levels of Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR), Electromagnetic Energy (EME) or Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) may lead to adverse health effects. To ensure the protection of personnel in the workplace and to protect members of the general public, it is essential that the EMR levels comply with relevant exposure limits set by regulators in each country.
- In Australia, the ACMA mandate EMR testing and compliance as part of the Regulatory Compliance Mark or RCM (which replaced the C-tick and A-tick) compliance scheme for applicable products supplied to the market. RCM testing and certification includes EMR, EMC, telecom & radio comms and electrical safety. The applicable ACMA EMR standard is ACMA Radiocommunications (Electromagnetic Radiation – Human Exposure) Standard 2019.
- In North America, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandate Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) (and SAR) testing and compliance for intentional radiators.
- In Canada, the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED), formerly Industry Canada specifies similar requirements in RSS-102. An important difference from the FCC Rules is that Canada sets requirements for Nerve Simulation (NS) in the range 3 kHz to 10 MHz. NS must be evaluated in accordance with supplementary procedures in SPR-102 procedures.
- In Europe, EMR is known as EMF (Electromagnetic Fields). Compliance is required under the RED (Radio Equipment Directive)
What type of testing?
SAR, EMF/EMR testing or calculation?
There are various methods used to quantify the acceptable levels as per the relevant mandated legislation (law) per the directive or specified standards per the region of installation, use or distribution.
- In most cases, if used within 20cm of the head or torso then SAR testing or a calculated exemption is the required method.
- In most cases, if used further away than 20cm of the head or torso then an EMR meter, field strength or calculation is required.
Need SAR Testing?
If you need SAR testing or have a transmitter operating within 20cm of a persons head or body then visit our dedicated SAR Testing page, just click the button below!
EMF/EMR Measurements at -1200 metres – DC to daylight.
EMC Technologies specialises in C-tick and RCM EMR testing, EMR surveys, ACMA EMR approval, EMF measurements, EMR Australia compliance, EME expertise
EMC Technologies can provide NATA accredited EMR testing services and compliance engineering assessments for electronic equipment here in the laboratory or on site.
Common EMR standards include AS/NZS 2772.2, ARPANSA RPS S-1, ARPANSA RPS3, EN 62209-1, EN 62209-2, EN 50360, EN 62311, EN 50361, ANSI C95.1, ANSI C95.3 and ICNIRP.
We can also offer EMR predictions/calculations services using powerful software developed by our expert EMR engineers.
EMC Technologies can prepare Site Radiation Folders (similar to an RCSMB or Radio Communications Site Management Book) for sites containing RF transmitters.
Typical equipment requiring EMR/EME/EMF testing and assessment:
- Radiocomms, and Telecommunications equipment
- Mobile phones, mobile phone base stations and towers
- TV and radio broadcast transmitters
- Land Mobile , CB transmitters, Amateur Equipment
- VHF/UHF Paging, Telemetry, and Emergency Services
- Microwave repeaters, Radar
- Wireless devices, Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN), PC WLAN cards, Baby monitors, Cordless Phones, remote control devices
- Industrial RF welders, RF heaters, induction cookers
- Medical diathermy, surgical and other devices using or generating RF
We can provide ELF (Extremely Low Frequency) testing services to local and internationals standards such as NHMRC Radiation Health Series # 30 (withdrawn) and ICNIRP ELF guidelines (consistent with ARPANSA and NHMRC and usually applied). Typically an ELF survey involves measuring under and around high voltage power lines, electrical substations and in various commercial and residential environments where high voltage 50Hz mains borne electromagnetic fields are of concern using various hand-held ELF probes. We can measure E (Electric) and H (magnetic) fields from DC to 400kHz using sophisticated, state of the art measurement probes and prepare professional test reports comparing the measured levels to prescribed occupational (aware) and non-occupational (unaware) ELF exposure safety limits.
DC Magnetic Field Testing
EMC Technologies has developed capability for DC magnetic fields testing in railway environments to standards such as EN 50500. We have performed works for projects such as Queensland Light Rail and Melbourne Metro.