Specific Absorption Rate – Accredited SAR Testing
EMC Technologies experts in SAR testing
RF transmitters used in close proximity to the human body must be evaluated against human Exposure standards which set basic restrictions for the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) of RF energy by any part of the human body. This may include two-way radios, cellular phones, smartphones, spread spectrum, Bluetooth devices, wireless EFTPOS terminals and WLAN devices used in PDA/notebook/laptop/tablet computers. In Australia and Europe, virtually all devices exceeding the power threshold of 20mW (13dBm) and used in close proximity to the human body must comply with SAR requirements. There is no such blanket exemption in the USA and Canada where each product must be assessed against frequency/power level criteria.
What type of testing?
SAR, EMF/EMR testing or calculation?
There are various methods used to quantify the acceptable levels as per the relevant mandated legislation (law) per the directive or specified standards per the region of installation, use or distribution.
- In most cases, if used within 20cm of the head or torso then SAR testing or a ARPANSA SAR testing exemption is the required method.
- In most cases, if used further away than 20cm of the head or torso then an EMR meter, field strength or calculation is required.
Need EMR Testing?
If you need EMR/EMF testing or calculations i.e. a high power transmitter (TV, Radio, 3G, 4G base station etc), infra-structure or place of work operating further than 20cm from human body then visit our dedicated EMR Testing page, just click the button below!
SAR Testing modelling
SAR model imaging for a mobile phone
Accrediated SAR Testing
DASY5 SAR measurement System
SAR Testing Robot
DASY5 SAR robot
SAR Requirements & Testing for Global Markets
EMC Technologies can provide SAR testing and certifying services for Europe (CE), Australia/New Zealand (RCM, USA (FCC) Canada (ISED), Japan, Singapore and most other countries.
- In Australia SAR testing is mandatory for certain devices as part of RCM testing and compliance, as per Radiocommunications (Compliance Labelling—Electromagnetic Radiation) Notice 2014. Devices with RF power output >20mW and <20cm from the body/head require SAR testing.
- In North America, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandate Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) testing and compliance under FCC rules for intentional radiators. Depending on the RF power output and proximity to the human body SAR testing may be applicable. Requirements are determined on a case by case basis in accordance with FCC KDB procedures. There is no blanket exemption for low power devices.
- The Department Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED) formerly Industry Canada, specifies similar requirements to the FCC as per RSS-102.
- In Europe EMR, (known as EMF in Europe) compliance is required under the Radio Equipment Directive (RED). Devices with RF power output >20mW and <20cm from the body/head require SAR testing.
EMC Technologies SAR testing & certifying services
EMC Technologies has the only SAR testing facility in Australia/New Zealand and our comprehensive experience since 1999 makes us a world leader in this field. Our laboratory is NATA accredited to the latest Australian and international SAR standards and regulations. Our NATA accreditation scope includes the following:
ACMA EMR standard
ARPANSA RPS 3
FCC SAR Procedures
ISED Canada SAR Procedures
We have recently upgraded our SAR test equipment and we can now provide measurement and validation for the most common frequencies between 4 MHz and 5.8 GHz including the commonly used 13.56 MHz ISM and the 5G bands. Continual investment in reference dipoles, flat phantoms and SAR measurement probes allow compliant head and body SAR measurements over most of the applicable frequency range including the less common bands:
6 MHz, 13 MHz, 30 MHz, 64 MHz, 150 MHz, 450 MHz, 300 MHz, 600 MHz, 750 MHz, 900 MHz, 1300 MHz, 1450 MHz, 1640 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1950 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2450 MHz, 2600 MHz, 3000 MHz, 3300 MHz, 3500 MHz, 3700 MHz, 5.2 GHz 5.6 GHz and 5.8 GHz.
We have invested in fully optioned base station simulators such as R&S CMU200, CMW500 Anritsu MT8820A, MT8860B and Agilent model E6621A PXT which enables us to test virtually all mobile/cellular phones on the world market. Capability includes 2G/2.5G, 3G and 4G(LTE) – DECT, GSM, EGSM, E-GPRS, CDMA, WCDMA, EvDo, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA and LTE -A eMTC (LTE Cat-M1). Services extend to WLAN transmitters employed in Laptop PCs, Notebooks, Tablets and PDAs which utilise WLAN standards IEEE 802.11abgn, WiMAX, LoRa, ZigBee, Sigfox or similar devices. In addition we have we have close links with world leaders in SAR research and measurement through a technical support agreement. Our clients have access to authoritative technical support in all aspects of SAR compliance.
Video credit: ABC Four Corners, The truth about 5G (Aired Mon 3 Aug 2020, 8.30 pm)
SAR, MPE & EMR compliance testing latest News!
EMC Technologies was approached by a Public School in NSW to perform SAR testing on suspected “leaking” Microwave Ovens. The Test samples were two well-known brands that had been diagnosed with “leaky” door seals by EMR meter measurements. It was decided that the only...
According to the EN 62232: 2017 one of the methods of ensuring compliance in the vicinity of radiocommunication base station (RBS) is to perform SAR testing of the base station antennas for the purpose of evaluating human exposure. This can be undertaken by EMC...
ABSTRACT Regulations protecting people from exposure to harmful levels of radiofrequency (RF) Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR) also known as Electromagnetic Energy (EME) have been in force in Australia since 1990. The EMR regulations set limits for the Specific...
The new amended version of EN-62209-2 SAR standard has been released (EN-62209-2 A1). The amendment was a result of finding that traditional SAR test systems may introduce errors and underestimate the SAR if the angle of attack of the test probe is more than 5% away...